SEC Small Business Forum next week.. 11

“The SEC hosts an annual forum that focuses on the capital formation concerns of small business. Called the SEC Government-Business Forum on Small Business Capital Formation, this gathering has assembled annually since 1982, as mandated by the Small Business Investment Incentive Act of 1980. A major purpose of the Forum is to provide a platform for small business to highlight perceived unnecessary impediments to the capital-raising process.”

This quote from the SEC website describes the annual meeting I will be attending next week in Washington. This forum is particularly notable for its ability to forecast future action by the SEC as it relates to small business. For example, at last year’s forum, then Corporation Finance Associate Director Marty Dunn suggested the possibility of shortening the Rule 144 holding periods and making Form S-3 available for some smaller companies on a limited basis. Sure enough, 8 months later the Commission proposed those very two changes.

The SEC staff uses the forum as a way to get a sense of market reaction to their possible actions. Of course they have other methods of gathering that information as well, and since there is no charge for the forum, it certainly attracts, shall we say, a wide range of audience members. My impression is there are some on the staff who are slightly annoyed that there is a statutory mandate for them to hold this conference, whereas most see it as an opportunity to connect with those “in the hustings” getting things done to gauge their concerns. SEC Chairman Cox also will be speaking.

After the conference I’ll come back and report if anything exciting took place. For example, I’m hoping they might announce a timetable for when the various small business proposals (144, etc.) may be set for final approval.

11 thoughts on “SEC Small Business Forum next week..

1. Reply Encunddyefe Dec 4, 2008 3:44 pm

I am here at a forum newcomer. Until I read and deal with the forum.
    Let’s learn!

2. Reply David Feldman Dec 6, 2008 6:17 am

Welcome encun glad to have you.

3. Reply Actillagege Dec 22, 2008 11:54 am

Hello people

This is my first post and i want to wish u all marry christmas and happy new year!

_______________________________________________
    after christmas sales

4. Reply TonyB Apr 1, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi Everyone,
    I have a carpet cleaning business in Houston,TX that was doing pretty good until the economy went bad, and with it my clientele. I have a website for the business but I dont
    know what I have to do the get it to show up in a search. Right now it’s somewhere in the yahoo/google netherworld (LOL).

Is there someone on here that can give me some insight or know of anyone that coud give me insight on how I can get my local website on the front
    page of a Yahoo or Google search to increase my business without it costing me 5 or 10k $$$? If so please share with me.

I thank you and my hungry over-eating children thank you.

thanks,

5. Reply GreggG May 15, 2009 3:30 pm

First time posting here.
    Can anyone tell me their opinion of the forum thus far.
    Leave me a post and introduce yourself
    See ya,

6. Reply Astomeoks Aug 14, 2009 5:04 am

I just wanted to make a new post to acquaint myself. My name is Josh and I came across this particular place through a quick search and needed to just say hello. I would enjoy engaging in upcoming discussions and look onward to speaking with everyone.

My favorite past time is http://computerrepair101.wordpress.com – computer repair and this is the first site that I have ever created.

7. Reply dypeMense Oct 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello guys!
    As i’m newbie here, i just want to say hello.
    By the way – bb code seems to work bad?

cheers,
    ______________
    dypeMense
    pay for soma with visa

8. Reply BETSY HUNT May 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I don’t think I’ve seen this said in such an informative way before. You really have made this so much clearer for me. Thank you!

9. Reply GoneMoon Mar 8, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi to everyone, this is my first post, because I REALLY need help.

Everywhere i see know this advertisements about Forex thing, got attracted, started to read about it, but still really confused about What is forex .
    All the explanations i find on the internet are very complicated. Too many smart words.

Can someone explain what is forex by his own words ?
    Tired of websites.